This recipe is by Nigella Lawson and makes 24. 🥜Nut free
- For the cupcakes
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g soft unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 heaped tablespoon red food colouring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 175ml buttermilk
- For the icing
- 500g icing sugar
- 125g cream cheese
- 125g soft unsalted butter
- Chocolate sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 170° C and line two muffin tins with paper cases.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar, beating well.
- Beat in all of the food colouring and the vanilla extract.
- Into this vividly coloured mixture, still beating, add 1 spoonful of the dried ingredients, then 1 egg, followed by some more dried ingredients, then the other egg, followed by the rest of the dried ingredients.
- Finally, beat in the buttermilk.
- Divide the batter between the buncases and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Leave them to cool and do not ice until they are completely cooled. Make the icing in the meantime
- Put the icing sugar into a processor and whizz to remove lumps. Add the cream cheese and butter. Process to make a smooth icing. Ice each cupcake using a teaspoon or small spatula and decorate with chocolate sprinkles.