This is a SuperValu recipe and serves 12 people.
- 125ml Boiling Water
- 3 Eggs
- 75g Plain Flour
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- For the filling:
- 225ml Fresh Cream
- 125g Nutella
- For the topping:
- 36 Fresh Raspberries
- 25g Hazelnuts
- Pink Food Colouring
- 125g SuperValu Icing Sugar
- 4 tsp Water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place the butter in a medium pan with the just-boiled water and cook over a high heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is bubbling fast.
- Add the flour and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and forms a ball in the centre of the pan. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating vigorously, until well combined and with a golden sheen. You may not need all of the beaten eggs-use just enough to give a piping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe 12X7cm lengths, about 2.5cm wide, spaced well apart, on the prepared baking sheet. Use a wet knife to cut off the pastry neatly at the nozzle.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until puffed, crisp and golden. Remove and lower the oven temperature to 160°C/gas mark 3. Meanwhile, whip the cream to soft peaks and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, split the éclairs open through their side down their length to begin opening them out like a book. Return to the oven for a further five minutes to dry out the insides. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Once cool, spread the Nutella inside on the base, then pipe or spoon in the whipped cream and sandwich back together. Return the éclairs to the wire rack.
- To prepare the topping, sift the icing sugar into a small bowl.
- Add the water and a small dot of food colouring and mix to give a smooth, slightly runny glaze. Add more food colour for more intensity if you like. Working quickly, stirring often to prevent it from forming a crust, spoon a heaped tablespoon of the glaze on top of each éclair, spreading it with the back of the spoon.
- Arrange three raspberries upright on top of each one and a sprinkling of hazelnuts to stick to the glaze before it sets.
- Arrange on serving plates, a platter or cake stand and serve at once.