This recipe is by The Happy Pear and serves 4-6.
🥦Suitable for vegans
- 200g pitted dates chopped
- 200ml of boiling water
- 75g sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp molasses or treacle/maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 150g white flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Chop the dates into small pieces ensuring there are no hidden stones in the middle.
- In a bowl, pour the boiling water over the dates and leave to sit.
- Make 2 flax eggs by mixing the ground flax seeds and the water in a mug, mix well and leave to sit for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl add the sunflower oil, vanilla extract and treacle and mix until homogeneous.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a food processor blend the dates and water till you reach a smooth caramel like texture.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and mix in the flax eggs, date mixture and sunflower and treacle mix until well combined.
- Line a baking tray approx 34cm (13 inches) x 34cm (inches) with baking parchment and pour in the cake batter.
- Level out and put in the oven to bake at 180 for 30 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow to cool. Cut into brownie shaped pieces and serve with vanilla icecream and/or toffee poured on top