This recipe is by Odlums. Today I used a 9” Square tin. This carrot cake can be baked in a square or round tin and the ingredients are listed below.
|Odlums Self Raising Flour||225g/8oz||350g/12oz||450g/1lb|
|Shamrock Light Muscovado Sugar||150g/5oz||200g/7oz||275g/100oz|
|Grated Orange Rind||1||2||2|
|Sunflower Oil||175ml/6 fl oz||200ml/7 fl oz||350ml/12 fl oz|
|Goodall’s Cinnamon||1⁄2 tsp||1 tsp||1 tsp|
|Goodall’s Nutmeg||1⁄4 tsp||1⁄2 tsp||1⁄2 tsp|
|Odlums Bread Soda||Pinch||1⁄2 tsp||1⁄2 tsp|
|Baking Time (approx)||1hr||1 1⁄4– 11⁄2 hrs||11⁄2– 13⁄4 hrs|
|Goodall’s Vanilla Extract||1 tsp||11⁄2 tsp||11⁄2 tsp|
|Shamrock Chopped Walnuts||60g||80g||80g|
- Line deep cake tin with double layer of baking parchment paper. Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Put sugar, sultanas, carrots and orange rind into a bowl.
- Beat eggs and oil together and stir into the carrot mixture.
- Sieve flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and bread soda together and add to the other ingredients.
- Transfer to prepared tin and smooth top.
- Bake for specified time (11⁄2 hours).
- Test the cake by lightly pressing the centre, it should spring back and the top should be golden brown. To be extra sure, insert a skewer or knife and if it comes out clean, the cake is baked. Leave in tin for 15 minutes, then transfer to wire tray to cool.
- Make the topping by beating all the ingredients together. Always ensure cake is cold before spreading on top of cake and sprinkling with chopped walnuts.