This recipe was fun to make and I am now a self-proclaimed brain surgeon. 😷💉
- 140g butter, at room temperature
- 140g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 170g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp milk
For the Zombie icing
- 300g icing sugar
- 150g unsalted butter
- Red food colouring
- 12 cupcakes
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour and add the milk. Spoon into the cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- For the Zombie icing
- In a bowl, beat together the icing sugar and butter until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in enough food colouring to make it pink and mix vigorously until evenly combined.
- Spread a smooth layer of pink icing over each cupcake in a domed shape.
- With the tip of a knife, make a line down the centre of each cupcake. Pipe a winding pattern of icing on each side of the centre line to create the brain wrinkles. Place the iced cupcakes in the freezer until needed.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the golden syrup, cocoa powder and a few drops of red food colouring.
- Remove the cupcakes from the freezer and drizzle the tops in the syrupy “blood,” allowing any excess to drip off